New guidelines for living organ donation from prisoners

Living donor transplantation (LDT) is now established practice in the UK and represents 38% of overall solid organ transplant activity.

The safety and welfare of living donors is paramount. Living donor kidney transplantation (LDKT) accounts for 97% of LDT activity and is justified on the basis of excellent patient and transplant outcomes, low donor risk and donor and recipient choice2 . Living liver donation (LLDT) comprises the remaining 3%.

New Guidelines for living organ donation from prisoners are now open for consultation until 28th February 2014.

Any comments to Lisa Burnapp at